Here are two photos at the same location. One taken 100 years ago today, the other taken…today.
Muni’s first streetcar storage and maintenance facility was the Geary Car House, at Geary Blvd. and Presidio Avenue. It opened with Muni’s first lines (the A and B) in 1912 and stopped being a streetcar facility after the Geary lines converted to buses at the end of 1956. Muni built its Presidio Division bus facility behind this carbarn at the end of the 1940s. Its offices sat above the streetcar storage tracks until the early 21st century.
Muni streetcar No. 130, still in service, at Geary and Grant, c. 1920. Click to enlarge.
Ferry Loop, April 1936. Ralph W. Demoro photo, Al Schwoerer collection. Click to enlarge.
Copyright 2013, Jeremy Whiteman.
Archive: All Posts