The first of the four double-ended Muni PCC streetcars has left San Francisco for a complete rehabilitation in Pennsylvania, at Brookville Equipment Company. No. 1008, which operated in passenger service until 1982 and was then converted into a “repair car” to tow broken-down streetcars back to the barn and perform other services, left Metro East February 9. When it returns, it will be painted in the green and cream “Wings” livery in which it was originally delivered to San Francisco in 1948.
No. 1008 is the third of 16 PCCs covered under Muni’s contract with Brookville to leave the property. Ex-Newark single-end PCC No. 1071 went first on November 18, followed by 1952 Muni single-end PCC No. 1040 on December 4.
The four double-end cars are especially important, both for their large capacity, and because their ability to operate from either end makes them essential for initial operation of the long-planned E-Embarcadero line between Mission Bay and Fisherman’s Wharf, which lacks a turning facility for single-end cars at its south end.
All 16 of the streetcars in this order are scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011. We’ll continue posting updates on these streetcars as they rehabilitated and enter service.