History came home on July 10, 2003. After more than 45 years away from its home tracks, 1914 Muni streetcar No. 162 returned to San Francisco, thanks to the generous donations of Market Street Railway members and friends (see list below). The car was transported to Market Street Railway’s ‘Mint Division’ restoration facility at Duboce & Market from the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Riverside County, which had acquired it from Muni in 1958, when the car was originally retired.
Car No. 162 carried San Franciscans to the fantasy world of two World’s Fairs. It transported soldiers to the grim reality of troop ships bound for the Pacific Theater. It carried countless students to school, shoppers to stores, workers to work. It served San Francisco faithfully for 44 years, followed by 45 years of rest at the Orange Empire museum. Following repeated expressions of interest by Market Street Railway, the museum agreed to sell the car to Muni for $70,000. Of this sum, $55,000 was raised and donated by Market Street Railway members and supporters. The remaining $15,000 came from the sale of a surplus streetcar originally acquired for Muni by Market Street Railway members.