Do you like San Francisco’s vintage streetcars and cable cars? Help us keep them great! We’re Market Street Railway, a 1,200-member organization that serves as the nonprofit preservation partner of the San Francisco Municipal Railway. Since 1984, our members have been helping to find and restore vintage streetcars as we work closely with leaders from neighborhoods, businesses, Muni and City Hall to ensure that the historic streetcars provide reliable, attractive transit service to San Franciscans and visitors alike. These efforts, along with our effective advocacy, helped create the hugely-popular F-line, the most popular service of its kind in North America.
- Work to keep historic vehicles looking good.
- Monitor and work to improve service reliability.
- Help Muni to acquire even more vintage streetcars to expand service.
- Teach transit and city history with our website, Inside Track newsletter, and information onboard and along the historic lines.
We’re working to begin a second historic streetcar line, the E-Embarcadero line, initially running from Fisherman’s Wharf to the Giants’ ballpark and Caltrain depot. Plans are advancing to extend the E-line farther west to Fort Mason and south to Mission Bay, tying together all the historic and modern attractions of San Francisco’s waterfront.
In addition to our support for the historic streetcars, Market Street Railway helps to preserve and interpret the history of the world’s most famous historic transit service: the cable cars.
If you enjoy San Francisco’s historic transit, help us to keep it great. Choose your membership level below, and join Market Street Railway today!
Your generous financial support makes our programs possible
Market Street Railway is supported entirely by membership dues and donations, and receives no financial support from the San Francisco Municipal Railway or the City of San Francisco. All membership dues and donations are tax-deductible as provided by law under IRS section 501(c)(3).
All levels of membership include delivery of our quarterly newsletter, Inside Track, which goes behind the scenes to look at the politics and other forces shaping events, and is filled with fascinating photos and information about San Francisco’s transit history and today’s fleet of historic vehicles. All $100-level members and above will also receive FREE our Museums in Motion full-color calendar, and FREE admission to select events and select charters operated by Market Street Railway during the period of their membership.
In addition, your membership makes you eligible to receive a 10% discount on merchandise sold at the San Francisco Railway Museum, and at the Market Street Railway Online Store (some exceptions may apply). You may take advantage of your discount at the Online Store immediately after purchasing your membership here.
- Choose the membership level that you would like.
- Select an Individual or Business membership (business memberships begin at the $250 level).
- Select your membership status: New Membership, Renewal, or Upgrade.
- Click the Buy Now button and you will be taken to a secure PayPal checkout page where you will provide your payment information. (It is not necessary to have a PayPal account to use this system.)
- If you have any special requests for us, or additional information, please use the Special Instructions box on the PayPal checkout page, or email your request to us at [email protected].
Thank you for your generous support of Market Street Railway and our mission of preserving historic in San Francisco!