Historic Streetcars in San Francisco

Streetcar.org San Francisco Market Street Railway Museum
No.162

San Francisco Municipal Railway (1950s)

Built 1914 • Out of Service

This streetcar represents the last days of Muni’s original streetcar fleet. Streetcar No. 162 joined Muni’s fleet when automobiles were still a novelty, and was retired — the first time — in the days when automobiles ruled the country, tail fins and all.

162 in front of AT&T park162 in front of AT&T Park. Steve Ferarrio photo.

No. 162 is painted in its last Muni livery, the Postwar ‘Wings’ introduced at the end of the 1940s and kept until the retirement of the car in 1958. Like its twin, preserved car No. 130 (in 1939 blue and gold livery), this car ran on virtually all of Muni’s streetcar lines, spending much time on the H-line along Van Ness and Potrero Avenues and through Fort Mason.

162-westportal-bob-mcvay.jpgNo. 162 at West Portal in the mid-1950s. Bob McVay photo from the Walter Rice collection.

After its initial retirement, No. 162 spent 45 years at the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Riverside County before being reacquired in 2003 by Market Street Railway and Muni.
Market Street Railway volunteers replaced the roof canvas and made a number of body repairs to the car. It then went to Muni’s shops in 2004, Muni crafts workers completed the restoration, including required safety and operational modifications, returning the car to regular service in 2008.
The large size and long-term reliability of No. 162 make it a workhorse of today’s historic fleet, and very popular with San Franciscans of the Boomer Generation who remember it from childhood.
» Streetcar No. 162: Tested Tough!
» Back In Business!

1914

Built for Muni in Ohio by Jewett Car Company, part of same order as car No. 130.

1914–1958

Used in regular service on virtually every Muni streetcar line. Painted in all three Muni liveries used during its service life, including the green and cream “Wings” in the 1950s.

1958

Retired from Muni service. Sold to Orange Empire Railway Museum in Southern California.

2003

Repurchased by Market Street Railway and Muni and returned to San Francisco, where Market Street Railway volunteers began cosmetic restoration of the car, followed by further restoration by Muni crafts workers.

2008

Car No. 162 re-enters passenger service in San Francisco, almost exactly 50 years after its initial retirement.

Built For
San Francisco Municipal Railway, San Francisco CA, 1914
Builder
Jewett Car Co., Ohio
Seats
50
Weight
48,000 lb. (21,800 kg)
Length
47′ 1″ (14.4m)
Width
9′ 2″ (2.8m)
Height
12′ 3″ (3.7m)
Motors
4 Westinghouse 532A
Control
Westinghouse HL
Trucks
Baldwin L-plate
Brakes
Westinghouse SME Air
DiggShare