San Francisco Municipal Railway (1940s)
Built 1914 • Operational
This car was one of Muni’s workhouses for 44 years, but is lucky to be here today. Built in 1914, part of an order of 125 cars to expand Muni service for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in the Marina District, No. 130 operated on almost every Muni streetcar line during its initial career.
Twin 1914 streetcars 162 & 130. David Dugan photo.
Car No. 130 was the last ‘Iron Monster’ to leave passenger service, in 1958. Muni shop foreman Charlie Smallwood saved it from the scrap heap by hiding it in the back of Geneva carhouse while its mates met their fates. He then talked his bosses into making it a ‘wrecker’. Stripped bare and painted yellow, it spent the next 25 years towing its replacements—PCC streetcars—back to the barn when they broke down. It was fully restored by Muni craft workers in 1983 for the Historic Trolley Festival, including original seats, which Charlie had kept all those years in his basement…just in case!
Built for Muni in Ohio by Jewett Car Company.
Used in regular service on virtually every Muni streetcar line. Painted in all three Muni liveries used during its service life, including the green and cream ‘Wings’ in the 1950s.
Retired from daily service. Seats removed, equipment installed to allow car to serve as Geneva Division wrecker. Only two of the 125 cars of this type survive. Market Street Railway acquired car No. 162 from Orange Empire Railway Museum in Southern California in 2002 and gifted it to Muni.
Restored by Muni craftsworkers to 1939 appearance, with blue and gold “Treasure Island” livery, to participate in San Francisco Historic Trolley Festival.
Operated summers in subsequent Trolley Festivals.
Begins serving F-Market line, built as result of successful Trolley Festivals.
Begins serving F-line extension on Embarcadero to Fisherman’s Wharf.
No. 130 dedicated to famed San Francisco newspaper columnist Herb Caen.
Still in regular operation, perhaps the most durable streetcar in San Francisco history.