Join Market Street Railway/Renew Your Membership
Your membership in Market Street Railway is very important to keeping the past present in the future. The wonderful historic streetcars in San Francisco didn’t just happen on their own. The support of Market Street Railway Members is what made our successful advocacy for the streetcars possible. We have been told many times, “Without us, it would be a bus.” Seriously.
Today, we need your help to extend and expand Muni’s historic streetcar service, acquire/restore additional streetcars, make the historic streetcars and cable cars more rider friendly, and educate new generations about the importance of protecting our history, so it will survive and thrive in the future. We truly can’t do this without you, our Members. We don’t get a nickel from any government source. Our independence from Muni and other government agencies lets us be a more effective advocate for preserving historic transit in San Francisco.
If you’re already a Market Street Railway Member, you’re probably here because you got a renewal notice. Thank you very much for your support. We hope you’ll consider upgrading your membership to improve our ability to make a difference. If you’re not yet a Member, whether you’re a San Franciscan who loves this city’s history, or a rail aficionado elsewhere in the world, you’ll enjoy your membership in Market Street Railway.
As a Member, you’ll receive:
- Our exclusive quarterly newsletter, Inside Track, filled with information you won’t see anywhere else, including behind the scenes looks at the politics and other forces shaping Muni’s historic transit operations, plus rare photos and original stories about San Francisco’s transit history and today’s fleet of historic vehicles
- 10% discount on merchandise at both our online store and in our San Francisco Railway Museum
- Laminated Bookmark (new members only)
- Admission to special events, open houses, and other member activities
All members at the $100 annual level and above will also receive a FREE full-color Museums in Motion calendar, with 13 fabulous images of Muni’s historic streetcars and cable cars.
Membership dues and donations are tax-deductible as provided by law under IRS Section 501(c)(3).
Joining or renewing is easy.
1) Choose the membership category you prefer, then pull down the menu entitled “Choose and Option” under your desired category to indicate whether you’re a new member or a renewing member. (If you’re renewing, we’d be delighted if you’d upgrade at the same time by choosing a higher membership category, expanding our ability to fulfill our mission.)
2) Click the “+ CART” yellow button that will appear under your category. (There will be a box with a number in it, which should read “1,” indicating you’re buying a single membership.)
3) Then, go to the top right of the page and click on the word “Cart” (directly under the word “Subscribe” and the image of the three streetcars in the title banner).
4) You’ll find yourself on a page called “Cart,” showing the membership you’ve selected (as well as any other items you’ve selected from our online store). Click the yellow button “Proceed to Checkout”.
5) You will be taken to the checkout page. Fill in the required information and then click the yellow “Proceed to PayPal” button at the bottom of the page. IMPORTANT: You do NOT need a PayPal account; you can safely pay with your regular credit card once you’re on the PayPal page. This is a secure system.
6) On the PayPal page, you’re given a choice. If you have a PayPal account, log in with the email address and password you use for PayPal. If you DO NOT have a PayPal account and want to pay with a credit card, click on the link that says, “Pay with a debit or credit card.” You will have the chance to review your selection and approve it on the PayPal site before any charge is made.)
Please note: For tax reasons, memberships must be purchased as a separate charge from other store purchases.
PAYING BY MAIL WITH A CHECK: If you prefer not to deal with online payment systems, no problem. Just pick your desired membership category and write a check for that amount, payable to “Market Street Railway,” and mail it to Membership, Market Street Railway, 870 Market Street, Suite 803, San Francisco, CA 94102.
Whichever way you choose to join us, thanks very much for your support!
Passenger$45.00 for 12 months
Conductor$100.00 for 12 months
Operator$250.00 for 12 months
Inspector$500.00 for 12 months
Superintendent$1,000.00 for 12 months
General Manager$2,500.00 for 12 months