O'Farrell, Jones & Hyde Sts. (California Street Cable Railroad Co.), 1906-1954
Built 1906 by W. L. Holman & Co.
This special double-end cable car was built in 1906 by W.L. Holman Company, which also built Muni’s first streetcars. It served the O’Farrell, Jones & Hyde line until that route was discontinued in 1954.
Like many identical surplus cable cars, it was sold, but found a wonderful caretaker in Mr. H. Stanley Brown, a cattle rancher from Santa Barbara County. He built rails through his ranch, motorized the cable car, and used it to give prospective cattle buyers tours of his herd.
Protected under cover, the car remained in good condition until Brown’s family donated it to Muni’s non-profit preservation partner, Market Street Railway in 1993. After extensive cosmetic restoration by its volunteers, Market Street Railway donated it to Muni, which restored it to operating condition. Car No. 42 reentered San Francisco service after a half-century absence in 2005, carrying Mayors from around the world on California and Hyde Streets as part of World Environment Day. It serves today as the mayor’s ceremonial cable car.