May 15, 2014
The last of its class is now back in service, fully restored.
Muni was one of the few transit agencies that owned PCC streetcars that could be operated in regular service from either end. These double-end streetcars had significantly more flexibility than their much more common single-end cousins. Muni purchased a group of ten from St. Louis Car Company in 1948 and added them to a group of five similar-looking cars that were not technically PCCs, purchased in 1939.
The ten bought in 1948, known inside Muni as “torpedoes,” because of their extra length and shape, were oddly assigned to lines, such as the N-Judah, that didn’t need double-end cars, and were soon converted to operate as single-end cars. In that capacity, these cars, Nos. 1006-1015, soldiered on through the early 1980s. Two, Nos. 1012 and 1013, were scrapped along the way, and one, No. 1014, was put on permanent loan by Muni to a museum in Australia. The other seven though, survived, and now, the last of these, No. 1011, has finished testing following a full restoration and is available for regular service.
This car is painted in tribute to our namesake organization, Muni’s old competitor Market Street Railway Company (MSRy), which dreamed of owning modern streetcars like the PCC in the late 1930s, but could never afford them. The striking livery features the solid white ends that were a trademark of MSRy, and its “zip stripe” on the sides echoes what they put on some of their old streetcars to make them look, well, zippy. It has garnered many positive comments on the street during testing. Some have said it is also a fitting livery because today’s Market Street Railway led advocacy efforts to preserve and then restore this special group of historic streetcars.
No. 1011 on its way out of town for restoration in 2010. It had been in storage for almost 30 years and had been vandalized in that time.
Three of the other six restored double-end PCCs are in Muni livery (No. 1010 in the blue and gold of the original double-end 1939 streamliners) and Nos. 1006 and 1008 in the green and cream “wings” 1948 livery in which they were delivered.) The others pay tribute to other cities that ran double-ended PCCs. You can explore the story of each of these streetcars by clicking here.
No. 1011 entered passenger service at 9 a.m., May 15, 2014. Keep an eye out for No. 1011 on the street by following the live F-line map, and go ride it while it still has that “new car smell.”
Welcome back to the fleet, No. 1011.